Date(s) - 10/28/2020
11:15 am - 1:00 pm
DETLEF R. HALLERMANN
Director, Reliant Trading Center
Texas A&M University: Associate Clinical Professor & Director, Reliant Energy Securities &
Commodities Trading Center & Director, Trading, Risk & Investments Program 2003 – date
• Promoted to Associate Clinical Professor as of September, 2009. Received unanimous approval
through every level of the approval process. Have received eight years of exemplary performance
reviews from the university
• Awarded 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 ConocoPhillips Outstanding Scholar Award
• Awarded 2007-2009 Mays Fellowship for Teaching Award
• Awarded multiple performance based teaching grants
• Developed Trading, Risk and Investments Program (TRIP) in the Finance Department.
o TRIP is a unique specialized co-op style B.A./M.S. Finance program for students
interested in careers in markets.
o The program began (Group I) with twelve (12) students and eight (8) companies in
fall 2008. Group IV consists of twenty-four (24) students and thirty-five (35)
companies that sit on an advisory board.
o The program will over provide seventy (70) student internships in 2013.
o I generate through the program over $200,000 per year in donations (substantially
more than my university salary). The program supports more than one full-time staff
member and has supported multiple professors for developing and teaching new
• Appointed to a Special Advisor to the Texas A&M CFO regarding energy hedging for the
university (2004 – 2009). My assistance in the program has saved the university over $15 million.
• Developed Senior and Graduate level Finance courses on derivatives, trading risk management
and active portfolio management. Trading industry and investment banking industry employers
have aggressively hired students from these classes. I also developed multiple undergraduate level
three-hour classes. With the exception of Derivatives, none of these courses were taught using a
textbook. These courses are taught using the most recent market knowledge meaning the courses
are designed from “scratch” using journal articles and industry best practices.
• Integrated Excel based coursework throughout the Finance undergraduate and graduate
curriculums to make students more marketable to industry. I received two grants as a result of the
success in integrating Excel into the classroom.
• Developed multiple inter-university student trading competitions. Competitions included trading
NYMEX futures and F/X on live platforms. Students from top-tier schools participated including
MIT and University of Toronto. The 2009 F/X competition included more than 350 students from
approximately twenty universities. The 2010 F/X competition included a similar number of
• Managed a team of full-time staff members, graduate and undergraduate students per semester to
operate the Reliant Energy Trading Center, TRIP program and additional responsibilities. Total
direct reports ranged from (8) eight to fourteen (14) persons at any point in time.
• Sat on multiple Master and Doctorate Student Committees